June 19, 2017

Rationalization of Poor Justification

Taken in the Bridger Mountains, near Fairy Lake
 


I had doubts long before I left religion. I think everyone does, and I think doubting is a healthy reminder to double check that we are heading down the right path. This idea of doubt is something I have changed my mind about. 

     
People who know me, if asked about my personality, would have to at least somewhere in that description include my huge tendency toward stubbornness. I am a person whose default belief is that I am right. When new information or evidence comes my way, my natural response is to give it WAY less weight than that which I have already processed. It is less of a confirmation bias than an anti-refutation bias and it is strong. Though this is my own personal weakness, it is a weakness that is embraced within the religious community which masked it from my own scrutiny for a long period of time.

     I am a pretty skeptical person, but this bias makes it difficult for me to change my mind. It is part of the reason I write this blog and why I have been so active in changing my mind. I have to be. If I do not make a conscious decision to examine something honestly, I will naturally dismiss any suggestion that I might be wrong out of hand. Because of this nearsightedness, I have missed a great many places where I have had weakness. 

     One of these places of nearsighted stubbornness was in religion. I told myself I believed, and from there it was a done deal. There was no amount of evidence that I couldn't question into non-existence. I used this bias as a tool to rationalize away the poor justification for my religious beliefs, in attempt to avoid feared cultural ostracization. In reality these had long since left the realm of beliefs and become self-enforced dogma. I refused to question these beliefs and spent large amounts of mental energy trying to avoid seeing any contradictions or error in them. This is a practice that is commonly encouraged within Christianity [1], including the sect of my youth [2]. It is simultaneously encouraged to give no weight to arguments which are counter to the beliefs laid out by the church while also accepting their claims without consideration of their rationality.

     However, I realized that this encouragement to rationalize was not intended to have blanket application. I felt it was right to put effort into making belief in religion rational, but then avoid making that same effort in any other situation. It was a self-generated "ends justify the means" situation, where I felt using an irrational tool was acceptable in the pursuit of this one thing I really wanted. It was OK to rationalize, but just in this case, just to avoid being an odd person in a community of believers.

     Eventually this imbalance became so heavy it grew uncomfortable. I began to realize that I was not being honest with myself in saying that I believed in things I did not actually believe in. This became clearly evident in regular meetings with clergy members when I was asked to affirm my belief. I realized I was not fully telling the truth in doing so, which contradicted other affirmations I was asked to make, including that I was honest. Here was a conflict:  Do I accept honesty as a value above cultural or religious acceptance? For years I did not. Not through any personal indication, but because it was a somewhat common experience within the community, I feared that honesty would mean an end to my marriage and severely hamper my relationship with my son. This was not a decision that could be made lightly, and I chose to eschew honesty for comfort. I know from conversations with friends that this is a decision that other people currently face. I would not fault someone for choosing either side, but it grew weary for me.

     A tipping point in my decision to stop rationalizing my acceptance (though for a long time it was less acceptance and more lack of open disagreement) with beliefs that were self-inconsistent and disagreed with more consistent evidence, was an idea I learned from Dave Ramsey. I found a piece of advice he gives on financial matters to be really freeing in ideas as well. Essentially, he repeats something to the effect of (speaking about some item that a person already owns),"Instead of thinking about selling [Some item], think about buying it. If you wouldn't buy it, you should sell it. Not selling it is the same thing as buying it again every day."

     When I considered my religious beliefs under this lens, the "anti-refutation" bias was no longer present. If I had all the evidence I do today, and no predetermined decision to pursue religion, would I choose to do so? In this light, it was much easier to see that my self-deception and "sell" these ideas. I did not need to continue believe the earth was 6000 years old, just because I had already decided to. Continuing to claim that belief in the face of strong evidence to the contrary was choosing to accept it anew, which it was clear to me I would not do. If I would not accept these claims coming to me fresh, why would I keep them around when I had many refutations of them? This new mindset was revolutionary to my life. I have applied this tool to change many things about my world view, and it has allowed me to be more true to myself, removing external pressure and focusing on weighing the evidence. It gave me the freedom to accept my lack of beliefs in the claims of religion and not pretend that I wanted them.

     I am still weak and prone to judging incorrectly, but I have gained the flexibility to make my own judgments and refrain from rationalizing belief in unjustified claims.













No comments:

Post a Comment